Saturday, October 2, 2010

Where Am I?

On August 18th, 2010, I landed at the international airport in Incheon, South Korea.  I had my lady friend, Caroline, by my side as we took a bus journey south to Jeonju University for a required 10 day orientation before we started working as ESL Teachers.  After 10 days of lectures, Korean cafeteria food, physical exams, horrible attempts at learning Korean, and meeting dozens of new friends, we were prepped and readied to begin our new lives as teachers.  So we departed the university and headed even further south to our new homes in Gwangju, South Korea.  No has ever heard of Gwangju, so you may be asking, "Gwangju?  Where the hell is Gwangju?"  Like my geography professor once said, "Yo, check out the map!"

So far I think Gwangju has been great.  It's South  Korea's sixth largest city with a population of 1.5 million.  So it's not overwhelmingly huge and it's definitely not a small town.  So there's plenty to do and it's easy to get around.  My apartment is situated in what they call the "new downtown."  I'm pretty much next door to the massive city hall and there's plenty of great restaurants and coffee shops in the surrounding area.  On most days there's a guy right outside my door manning an American Style Hot Dog cart.  I consider myself pretty lucky.  The apartment is pretty nice.  It's a little lacking in the furniture department but it came with a bed and heated floors that should be fun to use in the winter time.

Anyway, I want to try to post on here once a week.  If nothing interesting happens for a while, then it might take a couple weeks.  I'll share pictures and stories of my experiences for your viewing pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment